Last night I made myself a new bag from the pleated tote pattern. Um yeah, I probably should have done that before I published the pattern. I've obviously made the bag, but I had never made it as I published it. No worries, all went well. The only problem I encountered was due to my not following directions. Oops. I forgot to stitch down the pleats before I sewed the lining to the exterior, so one of my pleats came undone during the assembly and turned out kind of wonky. Lesson learned.
Anyway, because I don't follow directions and I like to make things more complicated than they need to be, I decided to try something different with this bag. I not only used two fabrics on the front, but I interfaced the crap out of it, using both heavyweight fusible interfacing and fusible fleece. This baby is sturdy! I don't recommend using that much interfacing unless you have a heavy duty machine that can handle it. I like it okay, but I don't think I'd use that combo again. Too bulky. I like the lighter, floppier version better.
What I do love is the fabrics. I've been saving this cocktail kitchen towel for a bag for myself. That's part of the reason why I had to use two fabrics - there wasn't enough kitchen towel to make the whole exterior. I ended up having to unstitch all the seams of the towel to get enough width, thankfully it worked. Now I need to scotch-guard it because me + a white purse = DIRTY.
Unlike my last cocktail bag, I was able to keep the recipe fully in tact. YAY! I'm definitely going to try a rasmopolitan before summer is up. How convenient - I won't even have to take a list with me to the liquor store.
Psst - before I wind this up, go check out Shanna's version of the pleated tote, it's fabulous!!