I've decided that this spring summer I'm going to live in dresses. I love dresses - they're usually flattering and pretty cool on the hot humid days we have down here. I've been stocking up on dress patterns for years, but never seem to get around to making any. Well, this weekend I finally made myself a dress. I went with the Prairie Girl dress by Favorite Things. I was going to dive in on my good fabric, but decided to hold off until I worked out the kinks. Good idea. I ended up using one of my thrifted sheets to make this "wearable muslin". Eh, it turned out okay. The pattern runs pretty true to size, in my opinion, though I did have to make a bit of a full bust adjustment (no surprise). I ended up lengthening the bodice a bit to make sure that the empire seam fell under the girls, but I could have done without that. I plan to take that adjustment out of the next version. This dress went together very easily, though I'm not crazy about how the facings are handled. I'll probably do something different with that next time.
Unfortunately, I think the dress looks better on the hanger than it does on me, though I think a lot of that has to do with the 7-8 lbs I've recently gained (yikes!). My belly looks a little too pudgy in these photos! I do plan to wear this dress, but probably not out of the house. I don't know, maybe it's the fabric, but it reminds me of a granny housecoat. I will make this dress again, but next time I'm using my good fabric!