Yesterday I put a few miles on my sewing machine. I sewed and sewed and sewed. And I cut and cut and cut. My red quilt top is almost done. As much as I wanted to finish it yesterday, I ran out of fabric (hate when that happens!).
I went with diagonals. I'm sure there's some trick out there to making these, but I couldn't find it. Well, I suppose I could have done foundation piecing, but I didn't want to. So what I did was sew random strips of red and white fabric, ranging in width between 1.5" - 3" and 44"-45" long (a width of fabric) together until I had a rectangle of strips about 24" (13-15 strips sewed together). I then cut across the rectangle diagonally a few times to get two to three diagonal sections, then I sewed those together to get a longer diagonal section. The sections were then sewn together. That was it. There was a good bit of waste - triangular shaped pieced sections, but I'm sure I can find something to do with those (pillows!). Overall I'm very happy with it, and it is just the look I was going for.
I really want this quilt finished to drape over my living room chair, which might just be motivation enough to get it done!